March is Kidney Awareness Month. PKD, Polycystic Kidney Disease is the 4th leading cause of kidney failure today. I became aware of this disease a few years ago through a friend with this disease. The PKD Foundation is one of the best resources for Education. There you can connect with others locally & through online communities. Advocate, Donate, Participate & Support. Living with kidney disease and healthy living can be successfully maintained with help. Here are 30+ resources.
Eating healthy regardless of what your current medical condition will go a long way to prevent disease. You might be thinking, I don’t have Kidney disease. Would this apply to me? Comparatively, the act of healthy eating helps in other areas for prevention – heart, stroke, certain cancers and other chronic diseases. Unhealthy eating has been known to increase muscle loss, decrease bone mass and cause vitamin deficiencies. [source: 1]
3 keys to management of chronic kidney disease are
- Manage Hydration – simply put drink a lot of water – check out this infographic
- Manage Blood Pressure – 13 ways to lower your blood pressure naturally
- Manage Stress – 23 Science-backed ways to manage stress
Here are a list of resources for healthier eating in general and healthy eating for prevention.
Resources for Prevention and Maintenance
- Foods that are damaging your Kidney
- 8 Golden Rules – take care of your kidneys
- 15 habits that damage your kidneys
- 7 Yoga position for healthy Kidneys
Tools for Healthy Eating
- Interactive Online Tools
- MyFitnessPal – I started using MFP, when I decided in 2013 to lose weight. Check out this 8 tips for making the most of MyFitnessPal.
- SuperTracker – plan, track & support
- Phen Clinic’s Calorie Tool
- Tools for healthy cooking & preparing
- More tools for healthy living
Food Resources & Healthy Eating
First, let me say I have and never will be an advocate of the terminology ‘Diet plan’. This invokes a mental block, that saying ‘Once I reach my target I am done.’ Now it is better to adopt a Healthy eating lifestyle that includes and excludes items that support your preferred or desired diet requirements – for the rest of your life.
Because my family history has been riddled with potentially life threatening behaviors that result in high blood pressure and obesity, we, myself included have a constant struggle with getting to and maintaining a bmi (body mass index) at a safe level. These behaviors are life threatening if maintain long term, therefore we continue to change our current lifestyle to a healthy one.
DASH Diet – A (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) Diet has been recommended by the National Kidney Foundation and approved by The National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, The American Heart Association, the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, and also forms the basis for the USDA MyPyramid.
Plated – Chef designed recipes with fresh, healthy seasonal ingredients that are delivered to your door.
- We joined Plated right at the Holiday 2014. Hands down this has become one of my families favorite nights. I typically order every 2 weeks. Best part!!!!! Here are 2 complimentary meals, my treat. Shipping cost are not too bad & free over $50. Check out their FAQ for more details.
Gathered Table – is a great resource for planning your weekly menu. It suggests a menu and you have the ability to add recipes. It will then create a grocery list for that week.
Website & Magazines
- The Greatist – Great topic coverage on Healthy Living, sign up for their Newsletter
- Prevention Magazine – healthy lifestyle magazine
- Health Magazine – women’s health magazine
If you have made it this far, I want to reward you with some complimentary and trial items.
Did you take advantage of the complimentary plates with Plated?
Also Gathered Table is offering a limited time 3 month trial subscription.
- Everything I do is with the belief that you must show your clients you care. This continues to resonate with me. I believe that it is the cornerstone of business growth today. My mission is to work with busy people in business on their growth strategy, by helping them build customer recognition, foster loyalty and increase customer retention and referrals.
- Business Growth & Development2017.11.25The 2017 Cyber Monday Sale at Custom Growth Group
- Business Growth & Development2017.11.223rd Annual Internet & Technology Wishlist – the Sales
- Business Growth & Development2017.09.10Create Text Ads using this Simple Guide
- Business Growth & Development2017.08.22Business Networking Techniques 10 Do’s & Don’ts